Synopsis:

While preparing for the birth of his first child, Chrys Valerian is tasked with uncovering the group responsible for a series of missing threadweavers--those able to see and manipulate threadlight. With each failure, the dark voice in his head grows louder, begging to be released.

A young girl from a secret city in the center of the Fairenwild veers off course to explore the streets of Alchea. She never expected that her journey would end in chains.

Far in the deserts to the south, a young man's life changes after he dies.

When Chrys learns who is responsible for the missing threadweavers, they come for him and his family. He must do everything in his power to protect those he loves, even if it means trusting strangers or, worse, the dark voice in his mind.

Together, they will change the world--whether they intend to or not. 

Review:

Wow. You know that feeling you get when you start reading a book from a new author but it already feels familiar? That was definitely my experience with this book. I kept coming across things that made me think of some of my favorite books. That's not to say that this book is unoriginal in any way, just that the tropes, the magic system and the characters felt as if id been in this world before and came back.

I was completely taken by the characters in this book. Usually, it is easy for me to pick one specific character and say, yes, I love that one. But Zach does an excellent job of building characters to the point that you love them all. Even the ones you maybe shouldn't.

The reason I gave this book five stars is because I didn't see some things coming. That is a feat in and of itself. I have a tendency to guess the plots of most books but with this one, I found myself continously surprised. There were no events that seemed to spawn from nowhere (a pet peeve of mine) but even with the foreshadowing, it sometimes doesn't go in the way you expect it to.

I am ready for the next book because the ending is quite explosive.

Quotes:

"It doesn't matter how beautiful the wall is if the garden inside is dying. No one can live like that forever."
― Zack Argyle, Voice of War

"With two strokes of a pen, any man can change torture into fortune."
― Zack Argyle, Voice of War

Recommendations:

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

The Lost War by Justin Lee Anderson

We Ride the Storm by Devin Madson


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more