The Hunter by Jennifer Herrera
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Leigh O'Donnell is still reeling from the loss of her NYPD badge when she receives a call from her brother, a police officer in her small Ohio hometown, Copper Falls. Three young men were recently found dead below the town's picturesque, namesake waterfall and while the deaths were rules suicides, he thinks there might be more to them. Reluctantly, Leigh returns home and finds that there's a lot more going on than just the recent deaths - and that the secrets run deep into the town's history. But making waves in this small town may cost Leigh the only thing she has left: her life.
This book has a great atmosphere, with the suspense ratcheted up to 11 right from the start, with a bleak portrait of Leigh in the aftermath of losing her badge getting the call about the three deaths that are her back to Copper Falls. And right from the beginning in Copper Falls the weird behavior begins (I won't spoil it, but yeah, it's immediately clear all is not right in this tiny fairy taleu-esque town). I loved it. It's like a game of who can you trust and "what the heck is going on?!"
The end solution is really something - I never would have guessed it on my own! It's something that completes the story well and wraps up the loose ends nicely. Plus, Leigh goes through a big transformation throughout the book, which was nice to see, since she goes through so much during the course of the novel. Her entire family makes for really great secondary characters as well. I would love to see them all back for more as a series if the author was interested.
After reading this book, I'd also be interested in reading more from this author in general!
Overall, this novel was a great mystery/thriller that I just absolutely tore through. It combined thrills, suspense and storytelling into a complex and tight story that I would recommend to fans of the genre. It's a can't miss!
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment