'Death On The Crags' by Jo Allen is an ingenious story, with believable characters and the twists and turns I love in a mystery story. DCI Jude Satterthwaite is called in to an apparent accident when visiting police officer, Thomas Davies, falls from a crag while out walking with his girlfriend. When a witness questions whether it was really an accident, Jude and his team look into the incident. They find he has a lot of enemies for such a nice guy. And why does his partner Mia seem reluctant to speak to the police?
The Lake District setting of the story is part of its charm. The hills and walks are described so well, and I can almost imagine being there. I love how Jo Allen slowly teases out a story, information coming bit by bit, as it does in any police investigation. She captures the attention of the reader and ensures they won't be able to put the book down. I certainly couldn't.
Amongst the beauty of the lakes and hills, there is darkness and a malevolent presence lurking. The characters are well thought out and relatable. This is quickly becoming one of my favourite crime/mystery series, and I look forward to more from DCI Satterthwaite and DS Ashleigh O'Halloran.
I was given this ARC to review.
No comments:
Post a Comment