Title: Two Truths and Lie
Author: April Henry
Series: Standalone
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
*Note:I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A group of teens are trapped in an old motel with a murderer in this chilling YA mystery by New York Times bestselling author April Henry.
Nell has always wanted to be an actor, but doubts her ability. As a member of her school's theater program, she prefers working backstage. On the way to a contest, an unexpected blizzard strands her acting troupe in a creepy motel. Soon they meet a group of strangers from another high school—including the mysterious and handsome Knox, who insists they play the game Two Truths and a Lie. When it's Nell's turn, she draws a slip of paper inked in unfamiliar handwriting:
I like to watch people die.
I've lost count of how many people I've killed.
Suddenly a night of harmless fun turns into a matter of life and death. As guests go missing, it becomes clear that a murderer is hiding in their midst ready to strike again. In a room full of liars and performers, the truth is never quite what it seems. Nell is going to have to act like her life depends on it—because it does.
This was a surprisingly fun read! YA mystery/thrillers tend to be hit or miss but I ended up really enjoying this one.
When two groups of teens find themselves stuck in a creepy motel for the weekend, they decide to make the most of it. Nell and her fellow theater friends decide to take up the invitation for a game of Two Truths and a Lie. What starts off as a fun, innocent game quickly turns more sinister.
Honestly, I think this was one of the few YA mystery/thrillers where the "bad guy" was fairly obvious right off the bat but I still enjoyed reading. There were plenty of other things that made the story enjoyable.
We had the romance between Knox and Nell. It didn't take over the story but I was still invested in seeing if they made a connection. Not to mention there were other potential pairings as well.
Just in general, I liked how unique and quirky all the characters were. They managed to seem realistic while still standing out from one another. Usually when playing with this many characters, the side characters tend to be bland but this wasn't the case here.
The author also kept it interesting by taking me by surprise with another twist halfway through the story when everyone is going missing. Honestly, the story was fun and entertaining! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, fun YA mystery read!

No comments:
Post a Comment